Thursday, March 12, 2009

And I know you don't feel right when I'm leaving.

I will never forget blue in your eyes.
Hazel, without a doubt, but those blue rings around the inside
hidden to most, but I always seemed to find them.
I will never forget night swimming
sneaking in through the padlocked gate
diving through the knats and the evening's humidity
kissing hard and long and intertwining our bodies and 
then dunking you and swimming away as fast 
as my size 5 feet would paddle
as you "quickly" chased after me.
I will never forget the scruff on your face.
After three days it formed around your proud jawlines
scratching me every time you would kiss the edges of my mouth.
I will never forget the way you got angry.
Eyes wide, sarcastic grin, words that sliced
that soft part of my heart.
The part I kept for you.
I will never forget the pet names
the starlight nights, getting buzzed off our cheap wine
spooning cause we fit so easily together.
I will never forget your giggle.
Your snide little comments, your teases, your taunts
but I laughed just as hard cause you were just kidding.
And come on, I was easy to pick on.
I will never forget our restaurant
our spot, our table, our dinner
no matter how angry we were, that place sealed up the hurt.
I will never forget the crinkles in your smile, 
little imperfections in the imperfect grin that was absolutely perfect to me.
I will never forget the way you ate that grilled cheese
that didn't cook all the way through
and the bread was butter soaked and burnt
the cheese was cold
but you ate it
all
because I made it for you.
I will never forget the way you cried
too tough to break in front of anyone
but me.
The way your face scrunched and 
your eyes filled with the fattest tears
and no matter how mad I was 
I had no choice but to wipe them, kiss them, take them away from you.
Because you were everything.
You are everything.

This might be for the best.
Who knew heartbreak could shatter the most protected of souls.



3 comments:

Theresa said...

this, quite frankly...
is breathtaking.
well said, well felt, well proclaimed.
well done.

beautiful mess. said...

i can't thank you enough :)

sistermaryclarence said...

i agree with tza, simply breathtaking. keep writing.
i think we all know this.

yEStERYEar