Monday, January 31, 2005

Song Memory...

This is my favorite journal entry, but I know that I can't share it in front of class because I will cry, so I will just share it here.....
The day started off great. I woke up and felt amazing because the night before I had the best time. It was Sunday and the children were leading the worship service that day. After the church service was done, my pastor came up to the front of the church, he wasn’t happy at all. He started crying and told us that someone had died. He choked a little and couldn’t get it out. He finally got it out and told us that you had been killed in Iraq. I was so hurt and crushed. I cried all day. There was a song that kept playing that day. It had words in it about soldiers and how someone was fighting over someone’s life. The music video was even worse. It had a man who was shot, just like you, and was in the hospital and the doctors were trying to revive him. I know that you died instantly, but just hearing that song and seeing that image broke my heart. When your body was lying in our church, I came and saw you. I had that song stuck in my head. When I saw your body, lifeless yet at the same time full of life, I cried so hard. It didn’t look like you, but I knew that you were in a better place! The song kept going through my head. When I left the church I remembered the last time I saw you. It was at church and you stood up and we all applauded for you, because you were going to Iraq to fight for your country and for God’s people. I know I missed your funeral; it was only because I was so selfish and didn’t want anyone to see me cry anymore. The ironic thing was that that song came on exactly the start of your funeral service. It has been more than a month now since you died but still every time I hear that song it reminds me of you. I hear it everyday! There hasn’t been a day that I haven’t heard that song since you died. Now when I hear that song, I just close my eyes, and think of all the good memories of you and how you used to brighten up my day and make me feel better when I was having a hard time. We will miss you, but it’s almost like it was a sign from you through that song to let me know that you are in a better place and that you know we miss you. I will always remember that song through out my whole life and it will never let me forget about you. I promise I will keep an eye out for your brother.

1 comment:

LloydDobbler said...

Beautiful. You know how I feel about this piece. I have so many hysterical memories of Greg that I smile everytime I think of him.

yEStERYEar