Tuesday, May 15, 2007

OH! Seven

This is a sneak preview of my letter to Oh! 7 that will appear in the paper tomorrow. You bloggers deserve a preview. SHhhhhhh.


They said write a letter and I did and it sucked
so I sat back down pushed pen on the paper
and the bleeding began as I looked back at the year
and this class that I fathered (cuz dadded ain’t a word)
You 2 brung it all year in Forensics and Debate
I heard you next door
Kids with helmets and caps bringing home mo’ metal from State
Andres cult scored a perfect 1
And the musical? How do you get that done?
Tonelli’s talent show proved he ain’t no Holla Back girl
it’s like Columbine Idol but way more vital
cuz we voted to school kids in a beautiful way
And what can I say about the Curious Savage?
There was money in a bear some violin and piano
crazy people who were smarter than average
(If I don’t mention Schwartz, she’s on me like Tony Soprano)
The list of our teams that went to the playoffs
is proof of the payoffs
of what it means to work like a Rebel
No teams in Jeffco can touch our skills and get offs!
Where else do I start?
In medias res?
I know one thing for sure my flow is suburban
I ain’t no Digress!
It’s from the top of my heart. This is pure love
Not a cliché (like the bottom they say)
I needed to say it in a way you don’t hear everyday
This class of Oh! Seven has brought a paternity
Suit against me to bless me and
They say I am dad-like
but without the maturity
It’s awkward for me
cuz I know there are more
Deserving than me
like Friesen, Webb, Pruett and Coach Ivory “We Are” Moore
Nonetheless I’m grateful to win the Tom Tonelli Award
And before him it was Chuck Herring who answered to Dad
Heck, I couldn’t even carry his history book bag
Chuck was a man who taught teachers some lessons
Bout gambling and love and 9/10th is possession
Chuck made “shut up” sound beautiful and just beneath mad
Thank you Chuck, for laughter from jokes that were…well…bad
If Chuck Herring was a class dad
Then I’m nothing but a baby
In the tracks made deep for me
By a man synonymous with integrity
Peace out Oh! Seven
My flow is getting slow
Like Travis Duffy
Runnin the 40
But my love for you is huge as Hughes
And bigger than Ryan Miller shoes
And higher than Veronica Selzer’s class ranking
And sweeter than a cookie from McKee
Like a graduation speech from Samantha Murray
Like Lloyd Dobbler and his boom box
I gave you my heart…
Thanks for throwing
Yours back to me


Good Night Oakland

1 comment:

Іванченко said...

well done, many points all in one
taught us all like we were daughters and sons
and on this road broken and bent, it was still fun
a message sent, and there's nothing left to regret
a lloyd dobbler i'd never be able to invent
so keep it up with that miraculous pen an pencil set
taught me the way of words so now i'm a vet
and i'll keep up the words that i manifest
inside these endless epilogues i'll publish some songs
and force the past tense to jump the fence
and turn to the future and make it wince
so thank you for the classes
they helped work out so many thought processess
and opened doors to new brain wave tests

~Signed sinfully, o7, coming back to what we tell them

Love,
Digress.

yEStERYEar