Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hope I Don't Make A Bad Decision

“You can go, but you know how I feel,
And you know that my trust you don’t want to steal.”
The words linger on my mind like icing on a cake,
Should I go? Shouldn’t I go?
What was the right decision to make?
I hope I don’t make a bad decision,
For if I do, the consequences will be given with great precision.
I really wanted to go; this had been planned for weeks,
So I said, “see ya later. I’ll probably be home when you’re asleep.”
Driving along, down I-25,
What’s that I see out of the corner of my eye?
Red and blue lights flashing at me,
Dang!
I’m only going 5 over, how can this be?
He issues the ticket, and I’m on my way,
Just my luck! What can I say?
I get to the house where all my friends are at,
Just in time to see someone get slapped.
Every single one of them too drunk to notice;
It’s not even ten o’clock! Oh how I loathe them!
I make my way through the sea of faces,
I find my good friend sprawled out on the floor,
How much did he drink? How many cases?
I sit him up and try to open his eyes,
What is wrong? Is he going to die?
I stand him up and throw him on my back,
Grab the nearest keys and head out the back.
Drenched in a horrific stench from him,
I drive to the nearest hospital,
“Oh God, please let him live!”
Sitting in the waiting room –
The doctor’s wouldn’t let me in.
The repugnant smells are making me sick.
The smell of rubber – latex gloves,
And used syringes galore,
The smell of fear, but wait there’s more.
The smell of unfinished meals tossed,
And the unbearable smell of loved ones lost.
Silence.
Right now, that’s the only thing that exists.
My own thoughts seem to be shouting at me,
I don’t know how long I can put up with this.
Three o’clock rolls around; I want so badly to stay awake,
But with all the tears cried,
It’s hard to keep my eyes open wide.
The split second after my eyes close shut,
I’m shaken awake,
By a doctor in white, who looks very uptight.
“I’m sorry, but there was nothing we could do for your friend,
It’s probably best if you head home.”
How could I go home when it seems I have
Some sort of...frozen syndrome?
They let me in to see him one last time,
Why is it that he had to die tonight?
As I start my long drive back, I keep telling myself it’s a dream.
Full of anger…No…sadness…Or is it fear?
I pull over and bang my head on the wheel,
As I try desperately to hold back the tears.
I get to the house, my head is banging like a drum,
So I call my dad up, to give me a ride home.
Before he got there, the cops showed up.
Because of the party? Or just my pure rotten luck?
His first words upon arrival,
“I told you that your decision wasn’t right,
I told you, you shouldn’t have gone out tonight!
I can’t believe the life you’re living,
And I hope you know that you made a bad decision!”
I tell myself it wasn’t a bad decision,
He needed to put himself in my shoes,
He didn’t just lose a friend!
The tears kept on falling the entire ride home,
He had no idea where I was coming from!
That night rocked my world,
Everything was spinning,
And my mind was in a complete whirl.
The decision I made wasn’t bad,
Because that night, I was the only true friend that he had.
If I hadn’t have been there he would’ve died alone,
Because at that time his life-threatening condition was unknown.
You say that I made a bad decision,
But it, in fact, wasn’t a bad one….it was a good one.

4 comments:

boogie said...

Wow that was powerful and it flowed really well. Well done. Even more dramatic if it's real?

NashvilleBlues said...

Yes...it was way more dramatic when it happened. That night was terrible. The words that I wrote down could'nt even begin to describe what I was feeling. But I felt that I couldn't put everything from that night in it, it was already long enough.

Galliana said...

wow. amazing piece. one of those "silent" ones after you read it if ya know what i mean.....you have a great talent for putting things like this one together. anyways...ill talk to you more about it later. :-)

Іванченко said...

stupid sick
rhyming makes me want to lick
i feel for you, and empathize
because eye opening moments help us to realize
how short the breath, how short the time
it will always burn out, at the end of the line
so this here's for love, and for props
because its one of those that makes you not want to talk
you just have to simply sit back and gawk
while the passerbyes wave goodbyes
to the lives they wish they could analize

~F yeah.

Love,
Digress.

yEStERYEar