Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Today's forecast: Rainy, with no chance of sun

Crash! *Flicker of light* BOOM!! Rain drops start pouring from the dull, grey sky. Mothers rushing their kids inside, couples go dashing to their cars; everyone’s heading for cover to stay dry – everyone but me. I find myself just standing – staring – nothing’s going right, and everything’s a mess. Rain drops splashing all around me – people look – but I don’t see. I spin and spin with my head towards the sky. I drop to my knees with my eyes squeezed shut. I bang my fist on the ground and scream in frustration, anger, whatever it was. The tears start to fall – I’ve just had enough. From my knees to my stomach I slowly fall, lying there, on the cold, wet, clammy concrete. My shoulder’s heaving in deep sobs. ‘It’s just not fair!’ I scream, as I hit the ground once more. I forgave him. I told him that I still did, and always would, love him – nothing seemed to work, and before my eyes, he started deteriorating. I wanted him to open up; to tell me what was wrong. I would’ve listened! But I guess I just wasn’t good enough. He accepted my decision well, or so I thought. He went through a drastic change – he seemed so unhappy – but I thought he was just playing a game. His laughter wasn’t the same. There was fear in his eyes. I didn’t know my touch made it hard for him to breathe or made him cry at night. He needed to talk to someone, and that someone was me, but he thought I wouldn’t care, so he couldn’t release his fears. In the blink of an eye, he was gone. He couldn’t hang on anymore, so he just let go. I’m sorry that you couldn’t hold on. I’m so very sorry – it’s completely my fault – if only I stayed with you; said ‘I love you’ back, you’d still be here, and your presence I wouldn’t lack. I remember that day so clear – the day I found out – filled with depression, confusion, and fear. Two years ago today, you drew your last breath and *snap* you were gone. I never got the chance to say goodbye, so long. Rain is falling outside my window; down pouring – I wish I could see him. Oh how I miss him. Leyba – you’ve asked us what we see through our window – today it is a sunny spring day – but not for me. That’s not what I see through my window. Today, is the same as the day that I lost him, it is pouring rain and full of pain and sorrow. It's a gloomy, rainy day, with no chance of sun.

2 comments:

Galliana said...

I like this piece a lot. It has a lot of good visual things in it, at least for me. I think that when it rains its a good time to think and reflect on people. Like your friend. I am sorry this happened. Even though it is horrible and ugly, you cant always just blame yourself. Who knew what else was going on in his life? He could have opened up. And he could have spoken. And sometimes, he was right, sometimes it isint enough but its also not just your fault. If i had to guess...probobaly a mix of things. His mom didnt help your hurt and anguish at all. Just reflct and reminis(spl) and know that he is lookind down on you. You'll see him again. All in good time.

Іванченко said...

sun shines when you pull back the blinds
its in there, in the mirror in the folds so fine
rain falls in each life
without it would leave it with no sense of ALRIGHT
fire breeds from the rain water that seeps
drip drip dries, with each end of the life
been here, done this, time takes to reminise
wounds stay open bleeding
while scar tissue awaits a new sting
we scar, and we heal, we bleed for what's real
whats right, we all die
rain gives us the will to survive
fate is the assassin taking each life
keeping chins up with tissues so matted with tears
tears from cloudy eyes
tears that perice the skies
falling to collect
forming a lake we choose to inspect
a love letter for long lost
clouds only water the lawn
distorting our vision to beautify the dawn
live the strife, for writers never die.
writers. never. die.

~Feeling For you, stranger.

Love,
Digress.

yEStERYEar