Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I hate it, but its something

Let me know of any glaring spelling errors

I’m scared. Scared that this pen will run out of ink before my brain runs out of thought. Scared that I may let friendship fall away because I gave up. Scared that I will wake up in a few years, and not be happy with my life. Scared that I may have just let you slip through my hands because I was scared. And the only thing that scares me more than these things is the fear that my fears may grow.
You see, we live in fear. It’s how we are brought up. The monster under the bed, the bully in the school yard, and the last step on the escalator. We are born to fear what we don’t know, or can not explain; and this fear follows us always.
We can never get rid of it, but we have hope, because once in a while, if only for an hour, a minute, or a second, we can escape it.
We can run till the stars are brighter than the city lights. We can lose ourselves with our heads out the window, and the wind in our hair. We can put our ipods on shuffle, even though we only want to hear one song, because we do have all night, and I wouldn’t mind a few good songs along the way. We can look at the stars for hours, because if you look long enough, they will tell you a story. We can hold a beautiful girl in our arms as the cramp up, and go numb, and not say a word because she means the world.
There are no opportunities. There is only fear and no fear, and it is what we do when life offers us no fear, when we lose ourselves in emotion, that shapes our character. I find that if you sit around waiting for an opportunity to present itself you may wait a long time, but if you strive to live everyday fearlessly then opportunities don’t just come and go, but they happen constantly.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

only cowards have more fear than courage. only small souls don't desire to grow, to learn, to become better. this is beautiful, love your stuff.

boogie said...

Part of a piece I wrote a while ago after looking back. I think it fits.

Fear controls you; it dictates everything you do. The fear robs you of confidence, feeds insecurity, and holds you in a prison. It chains back your emotions, keeps them compacted in your chest and tightens them around your lungs. They contract around your chest so that you can never breathe deep, you never really live. And by letting the fear control you, you never take a step for fear of the ground falling beneath your feet. It holds your energy, passion, love, desire, and spirit back within--like a dog chained to a tree. So much so that it becomes heartbreakingly clear that we should be more afraid of fear than anything else.

yEStERYEar