Thursday, September 23, 2004

Sometimes I, or The Cassette Recorder

Sometimes I play guitar when I'm feeling depressed, anxious, or critical. I spend time on many of the songs I write, revising and changing the lyrics until I'm satisfied. I also take time changing the riffs around, which could entail adding chords or bridges or anything musically. The music never takes as long as the lyrics. I still have a stack of songs that are waiting to be finished. But every now and then, when I'm feeling particularly inspired, I'll pull out the cassett recorder and put it on top of a chair or my dresser. I then figure out where my mouth needs to be and where my guitar needs to be so that both are heard well, and one doesn't drown out the other. Then I just sing. And play my guitar. And whatever comes out comes out. Its a song. A complete thought. And it always contains peices from my life. Anyway, after I record, I sit down and write out the lyrics in this red notebook. I think the cassett has five songs now.

No comments:

yEStERYEar