Friday, January 05, 2007

The Island of Broken Dreams

There's an Island that we live with, not too far away
an Island that disables many, every single day.
I call it an Island because it's an abstract thought
not really considered until someone close has fought.
A reservation was made for my Grandpa, turned out not to be a fair fight.
So now I'm forced to live the next few months in fright.
Because I know one day I'll get that call
and be left with a heavy haul
sit on a plane Illinois bound
with a mind in my head not completely sound
thinking about my family miles away
and the pain they dealt with everyday
watching him steadily decline
and watching him feel less and less fine
being immersed even more in the Island of tears
the Island that now most people fear.
I knew the time would come when he would get very sick,
and it would be the kind he wouldn't be able to kick.
they tell you to look for a "bright" side
but it seems there isn't one, or it always hides.
Well the Doctor did say he wouldn't see Christmas
and that he wouldn't get another ball drop with us.
But obviously it didn't work like that,
because right next to me is where he sat
when the year turned to 2007
yet we think this is the year he will go into heaven.
Because he won't be able to take anymore
and he'll be done with being sick and feeling so sore.
It's going to take him away
and leave my family with many empty days.
What is this Island so close to us?
Cancer of the pancreas

No comments:

yEStERYEar